Monday, October 11, 2010

Lots to catch up on!

Sorry for the long lapse in blogging but I suppose in one way it's a good sign! I've been extremely busy with so many different things over these past two weeks! Hmm so where to begin....
      I'll start with this last week and work my way backwards since this last week is the most fresh on my mind. Last Wednesday I went to interview for my internship at the State History Museum. I wasn't exactly sure which museum this was but what a pleasant surprise when I got when I found out!!! I'm working in this building....
This is the State History Museum that makes up one corner of Red Square. It's an extremely famous building/museum. I can't believe that I get to look out my window and see St. Basil's Cathedral when I'm at work. However, due to my busy schedule I'll only be working one day a week. I'm working in the web department correcting their english translations on the museum's english side of the website. Here's a photo of in front of St. Basil's Cathedral to give you an idea of my view. 
  
To the right of St. Basil's Cathedral is The Kremlin where the Russian President has an office.
          Since the place I work is of such historical significance and such a tourist hot spot I had quite the scare my first day at work on Thursday. As I approached the museum all of red square and the museum were surrounded by the swat team fully decked out in helmets, batons, and bullet proof vest. Everyman was standing 5 feet from the next behind metal barricades for as far as the eye could see. It was quite an eery sight so I decided to call back to the office at the academy to see if they could get ahold of someone within the museum. 
  I dared not approach the swat team members and attempt to speak broken Russian and be mistaken for someone trying to distract them. Just as I picked up the phone my supervisor at the museum (who speaks little to no english) approached me and said, "Jean, come." I hesitantly followed her around the outside of the square, through an alley and out onto another street. During this trek I attempted to find out EXACTLY what was going on and WHY it was a good idea to try and get into where the swat team was keeping everyone out of!!! I asked her what was wrong and she just waved her hand and replied, "it happens." To get a better idea I asked "terrorist?" Her reply was "yes" and so at this point I was quite unsure of WHY we were going into red square. 
Half way down this other street and about 250 yards from another entrance of Red Square we stopped and knocked on a unmarked, big, black, steel door. A police officer with a bullet proof vest and gun answered and let us through after we presented the proper paperwork. After going through an underground tunnel and three different staircases we arrived at my cubicle in the museum. <- Quite top secret stuff! 
     As soon as I found an English speaking person I asked what exactly was going on and much to my relief found out that the team was there practicing the procedure in the event of a terrorist attack. WHEW that one was close but in the end it was comical how some things do manage to get lost in translation.... I guess from now on I shouldn't jump to conclusions. After all I'm glad they were practicing because now I've seen the underbelly of Red Square which I'm guessing not many Americans have seen. So if my safety is still a concern I now have in my possession a pass that allows me to go under the Museum and get out of Red Square, just in case anything happens while I'm there I will be able to get out quick. 
       On Thursday evening the Bing Overseas program treated us to the Ballet at the Bolshoi Theater. We saw Romeo and Juliet which was nice because for my first ballet I knew exactly what was going on. The theater was beautiful and the ballet was a performance that I'm glad I got to see. 
        Once Friday rolled around several of us were ready to go out. A group this weekend travelled to Kazann on an overnight train for a day trip but several of us decided to stay back because it seemed irrational. The amount of money for the amount of time didn't seem worth it. So four of us girls went to this sports bar we've become quite fond of because the bartender is an American from Washington D.C. Not only does he speak English (which is nice to hear) but gives us several free drinks every time we come visit. Here is a picture of some of my friends and I when we were out. 

Here's at the Ballet: 
The rest of the weekend was pretty typical and not eventful enough to mention. Well that's all for now because I have to run off and go to class. Hopefully now that I've got you semi caught up on the events of Russia I will blog more regularly. 
Moments of note: My host mom made Borshe-- I'm not a big fan, too many onions 
                             *** It's supposed to *Sn*ow** this weekend!
Cheers! Jean Margaret                    

1 comment:

  1. soooo...glad to hear from you. Sounds great...what an experience...miss you lots...Love you...Gradma

    ReplyDelete