Tuesday, September 28, 2010

INTERNET!!!

Hello all, I finally have internet! Isn't this good news?!? I can't believe how addicted to technology I've become. After going over 2 weeks without a "smart" phone or internet I've got a pretty bad case of the shakes. <- Just kidding. Anyway I hope all is well back in the states. I'm sorry in advance to everyone I made nervous by not responding to emails. And so now that that's out of the way let the games begin....
       Well obviously I made it to Russia in one piece, but just barely. The day after my flight landed and as I was just getting settled into my new home stay I started to feel sick. I couldn't quite tell if it was just jet lag or an actual sickness coming on so I just took some sudefed and prayed it would cure itself, as you well know, it did not. Hmmm, yes that's right, during my first week in Moscow I became very ill. On Tuesday night (after arriving on a Sunday) I was running a high fever and had a throat so swollen even water was almost too much to swallow. My host mother thankfully is an expert in home health remedies and have you ever tried to say no to a Russian Babushka? Not happening... So after copious amounts of tea, lots of sleep, and gargling this baking soda, warm water, salt, and glycerin mixture every two hours I began to feel a lot better. On Wednesday night though my host mother went out and bought me some penicillin. I guess in Russia you don't need a prescription. After this intense regimen I was ALL better and back on my feet by Friday. You would have been proud of me I didn't even go out "out" this weekend with the group, I came home and got some much needed rest! 
        On Friday afternoon my "Walking Tour of Moscow" class took a tour around this beautiful park in Moscow. The river was absolutely breathtaking from this particular park because we were slightly up above part of the city. Russia has a very interesting and complex history...much like the language. The more I learn about Russia though the more I want to know. It's a very nice feeling knowing that I have the best job in the world... learning.
        My host mother's name is Lyubov which in Russian means Love. She is a very nice lady and has very entertaining expressions. I knew from the moment I stepped in her door and found out that she doesn't speak a word of english that this trip was going to be an adventure. (P.S. In the future if you ever find yourself in a game of charades and need a partner, pick me, I'm the master now.) I guess that's one of the reasons why it took so long to get internet at the house because we had a tough time communicating.
        This particular blog post is tough to write because so much has already taken place and I'm finding it difficult to decide what of it is exactly relevant. If I would have had internet I wouldn't have to be doing this recap and things would make a lot more sense but hopefully from this post forward I will post more regularly. Please post questions on here and if you cannot or want to ask a private question please email me and I will get back to you.
                                                                                        Paka for now!
                                                                                                        -Jean Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment